Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Freestyle # 9

Customers hustle and bustle about, it's another boring day at work. Wal-mart isn't all that fun a place sometimes, but I meet a few interesting people at the registers, and some really nasty ones. Some smell very bad, like rotten old onions and moldy bread. Ther are people who blab on their cellphone while I'm scanning and bagging their groceries, which is rather annoying when I try to ask them a question about what they are buying, what bag I can put it in, whether or not they want to keep something out so they can eat it or use it or keep it in their purse. There's the occasion punk kid who tries to make wise-ass comments, and the flirty older gentlemen, who makes friendly gestures and comments about how nice I look. People make comments about my engagement ring, and ask about my college career, what I plan for my future. I hate it when mothers come in late at night with their children who should be sleeping, and buy craploads of food that isn't even nutritional. There are the young parents with WIC checks, buying eggs and milk and frozen juice concentrates, and there are those with the foodstamp card who separate their groceries on the belt, oh so very nicely for me. I am the observer, and working up front at the register is entertaining, although tiresome; but even though I get tired and sometimes a little stressed, It's always great to meet all sorts of people and help them in some way or another.

1 Comments:

At 11:54 AM, Blogger johngoldfine said...

I always hope the cashier approves of my food purchases and knows I'm a man who cooks, not a junk food impulse shopper.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home