Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Prompt Reaction # 10

The key is in the lock, but I can’t turn it.

I step out the front door- The wind is blowing its icy gusts in my face, but still I hold tight my coat and, sinking my ears into the scarf wrapped around my neck, close the door behind me and walk out to my car. The wind is fierce and gives all it’s might to topple me over and sweep me away, but I fight it. Pushing my way through its strength, I manage to get to the car door. My hair is whipping to and fro, lashing at my eyes so as to prevent me from finding anything. The wind is using my own hair as a weapon to throw me off course. I find my keys, and they are much too heavy for the wind to blow away, but the ice makes them cold and they rustle a little in my hands. I find the key to open the doors and slide it through the lock, it won’t turn. The ice has made it through to the locking mechanisms. He’s smart, but not too smart for me. I pull out my lock de-icer and slide it into the lock. I can feel it warm up beautifully in my hands, a weapon I never thought would come of use, now has a special place on my keychain. Once the lock has warmed to the touch, I slide the key in once again and turn, and smile as the lock gives way. I lower myself into the front seat, and throw my belongings in the passenger side, ready to take the journey of a lifetime. The wind once again tries to prevent me from shutting the door, but with two hands I manage to pull it shut. I can hear the wind howl and cry outside of the glass and metal that is my car, and as if it has given up, dies down to a whisper, a breeze. With a smile I reach for my keys again, and look outside, and observe the ice on the windows. I slide the key into the lock once again, and think “I’ve beaten you, I’m going to leave and there’s nothing you can do to stop me!” I go to turn the key, but to my utter dismay, it won’t budge. I look at the lock to see if that, too, has frozen, but it has not. Something wasn’t right; this can’t happen. I thought I had won! I try to turn the key once more, but to no avail. I was stuck, stuck in a vehicle that won’t even move. The cold is starting to take its hold on the car, framing the glass of all the windows and star-like shapes. That’s how it tricks you; it uses beauty as a mask, when it’s really a monster; a cruel, harsh, brutal killer. It kills everything, the cold. It kills the earth and the sun and the heart. I’ve slid my key into the lock, but I can’t get my mind to turn.

1 Comments:

At 12:01 PM, Blogger johngoldfine said...

Mmm, nice--the way you use the cold and wind, the concentration on small things which you allow to take on importance, the growing significance of the car, the switch at the end from car to you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home