Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Prompt Reaction # 14

Sex, drugs, rock and roll!

The hall is empty. There is not a single person in sight as I carry my sticks up the stairs and with me behind the set. There is no tune, no melody, only me and my rhythm, and the echoes on the walls. I twirl the smooth wood between my fingers, like I twirled his flaxen curls, and adjust the cymbals and snare to my tastes. Looking around for any sign of humanity, I get ready to create the scene. I close my eyes and take a deep breath, relax my muscles, and crack my knuckles. My rings come off, and my shoes tied tight. With few counted measures, I let my body do the work, creating a jungle-like rhythm that verberates across the empty space of the auditorium. I close my eyes and see myself at a piano, playing a melody guided by the beat of my drums, and an acoustic guitar weaving it's way into the song. A harmonica hums at the bridge and there, in the midst of it all, comes the waves of the bass guitar, syncronized with both the drums and guitar. In my mind I see a crowd appear. First a few, than many, young and old, short and tall, skinny and fat, and of all races and colours. I think "This is my unity", as I create the sounds for everyone to hear. As they wave there hands in the air, A voice coos into the microphone silken like his whispers, and then another like his cries, and another like his laughter, and a three part harmony escapes into the soundwaves, wrapping its way in and around the tune. The harmonica fades into a whisper and dies down, as the bass and guitar way their final plucks and strums. The piano keys make thier last blinding impression and they sit quietly, as the last words in the voice are out. All that's left is the standing beat of the drums, and the colours racing behind my eyelids. I make one final tap-tap-tap on the snare drum and open my eyes. The hall is empty. There is not a single person in sight. There is no tune, no melody, only me and my rhythm, and the echoes on the walls. This is my unity. This is you.

1 Comments:

At 11:57 AM, Blogger johngoldfine said...

I'm at the point with you where I can hardly even see how good something like this is because you turn out such wonderful mood pieces so often and consistently.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home